Practise it Over again, Lord

Man kneeling in prayer by his bed.

Lord, I have heard of your fame;
I stand up in awe of your deeds, Lord.
Repeat them in our day,
in our time make them known…

Habakkuk 3:2

In 1940, Professor J. Edwin Orr of Wheaton Academy led a grouping of theology students to England, where they visited sites of great revivals. One of their stops was the Epworth rectory.  The rectory now serves as a Methodist museum, but it was formerly the home of John Wesley, the famous reformer who led a moving ridge of spiritual renewal in the 1700s and founded the Methodist movement.

As a homo of prayer, Wesley interceded for revival to sweep through England and spread to America. Dr. Orr pointed out 2 worn places on the carpet next to Wesley's bed, where the human being knelt for hours in prayer each 24-hour interval, crying out for revival. And, every bit history tells us, that's exactly what happened. Heaven broke in and revival broke out.

Equally the tour ended, the students loaded the bus. After counting them, Orr noticed one was missing. He returned to the firm, and eventually located the lost student in John Wesley'due south sleeping accommodation – kneeling on the worn impressions where Wesley had fervently prayed for revival. The student was repeatedly pleading, "Exercise it again, Lord! Practise information technology once again… And would yous exercise it again with me."

Placing his hand on the beau'due south shoulder Orr said, "Son, information technology'southward time to leave. Everyone's on the passenger vehicle." The student slowly rose. And then that boyfriend… Billy Graham… joined the balance of his course, and through him, God did information technology again!

A Longing for Our Twenty-four hours

In Habakkuk iii:ii, the prophet expressed that same longing. "Lord, I have heard of your fame; I stand in awe of your deeds, Lord. Echo them in our day." Like Billy Graham, his cry was: "Do information technology again, Lord!"

Deep within, doesn't your heart resonate with the same longing? Aren't you tired of just reading well-nigh the great moves of God in the past? I don't know near you, but I want to run into God movement powerfully… supernaturally… in our mean solar day.

Aren't you tired of just reading about the great moves of God in the by? I don't know about you, but I want to see God move powerfully… supernaturally… in our day.

Our world is upside downwards. Besides COVID, racial tensions, political turmoil, war, and violence, we all face an array of personal problems. Churches in crisis. Marriages in trouble. Children in rebellion. Only a move of God can relieve us.

Here'south what I believe. I believe God can still do what God once did. I believe that God still hears. I believe that God however delivers. I believe that God still heals. I believe that God still speaks.

I believe that God still hears. I believe that God still delivers. I believe that God still heals. I believe that God notwithstanding speaks. And I believe there's nada God wants more than to "do information technology again," and again, and again.

I believe that there is nada God wants to exercise more to "do it once again." And again, and again, and again. The question is whether we will humble ourselves in prayer toward that end.

So, here's a thought for you lot. What if, every solar day," nosotros would kneel in prayer as Baton Graham did; as John Wesley did; as Habakkuk did? What if the ongoing cry of our hearts was, "Do information technology again, Lord!"?

PRAYER

Lord, there'southward something that deeply resonates within me upon hearing those words, "Do information technology again, God." I am weary of the sin-ravaged condition quo in our cleaved world. I am tired of evil having its way. I long for You to move in power. May I be true-blue to leave the impressions of my knees on the floor and make an impression toward the advocacy of Your Kingdom.

Devotionals for Every Day Disciples is brought to yous by our partners.

To support Dave DeSelm Ministries by becoming a partner, CLICK Here.